Thursday, May 28, 2009

Kueh Lapis



When I was in Indonesia, I tried one of the best Kueh Lapis and interestingly they added plum on the top of the cake. As a kid I always wondered how did they do it, how did they managed to make so many layers in a cake.

The answer I found many years later-Many hours of standing in the kitchen in front of the oven!
You actually have to keep an eye on the cake and every two minutes you have to bring out the cake from the oven and add another spoonful of cake batter. The process sounds mundane but rather rewarding when there is no Bengawan Solo in USA.

And when you realized you have to use 25 egg yolks and only 5 egg whites, you wonder what are you going to do with the 20 egg whites. Here's the solution, make French Macarons. 

I followed the recipe from Rose's Kitchen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment